Undoing overreliance on part-time faculty could reverse decline of California Community Colleges

Over the past 40 years, only 30% of the California Community Colleges faculty have been hired as full-time employees, while the remaining 70% have been hired as part-time (adjunct) employees who teach the majority of the system’s courses.

Nonetheless, part-time faculty do not have job security, often teach at several different colleges, struggle to earn a living wage, are generally not paid for office hours, and are not compensated equally for the same work as their full-time counterparts.

It is time for the California Community Colleges to address the hypocrisy at the heart of its institutions: decades of disinvestment from the faculty and thus, students.

Read more from EdSource.

Categories:

Most Popular