Digital displays and signage that push connectivity and collaboration
How can colleges and universities foster connectivity and collaboration in and out of the classroom?
The hot topics in higher education over the past few years have been active learning, collaborative environments, engaged students and flipped classrooms. When supported by powerful and flexible display solutions, collaborative learning helps improve both teacher and student engagement and empowers students to actively participate. A key element of active learning is to allow both professors and students to present wirelessly to the in-room display or displays. NEC has developed a comprehensive portfolio of adaptable and simple-to-operate interactive learning solutions based on projector, whiteboard and large format touch technology.
How does digital signage boost campus security?
Digital displays that show wayfinding information and campus events can also be part of an emergency alert messaging platform. Weather alerts and Amber Alerts also can be integrated into digital signage systems. For example, tying the Federation for Internet Alerts (www.internetalerts.org) into signage gives schools a way to show real-time alerts to a large audience in a matter of seconds. During an emergency, an administrator can trigger safety messaging on the displays that overrides the news content and weather alerts. Using digital signage to achieve more than one goal—including communicating campus events, keeping students informed and flashing emergency messaging when needed—ensures that a school will more than recoup its investment in digital signage.
What are some of the other ways digital signage can help?
Many universities are on tight budgets, so to justify the purchase of digital displays, administrators should create a strategic plan that shows how the displays will meet university goals and provide benefits to the school. Some of the goals and benefits could include:
- Reducing the use of paper, ink and plastics. Replace printed signs, flyers and static bulletin boards with a digital display system that will provide an environmental benefit to the school.
- Using digital signage as a fundraising opportunity to sell naming rights and generate extra revenue.
- Reduce frustration for campus visitors with interactive wayfinding displays, while digital directories help staff, students and faculty find their way through campus.
- Digital bulletin boards can be used to grab the attention of visitors, staff and students to promote events, sports games and job boards, in addition to showing class schedules or exam dates.
- Digital recognition walls that recognize generous donors or sports hall of fame members can show appreciation and promote a sense of community.
- Digital menu boards can reduce wait times and display daily specials and nutritional information.
Talk about the importance of future-proofing technology in higher ed.
It starts with creating a tech-savvy workforce wherever possible. Colleges and universities need to be smart with technology purchases and avoid technology merely for the sake of being high-tech. They also must use and leverage data to help drive decision-making processes, and they must be proactive with hardware and software updates.
For more information, visit www.necdisplay.com/solutions/education-higher-ed/4